Just add some Nora Jones and Jack Johnson from the computer speakers (oh Pandora, you know us well!) and it was a fancy evening
So tonight I was craving something else chocolatey and romantic and decided to go for a mint-chocolate dessert. After we put the kids to bed, we heated up some Celestial Seasoning's Peppermint tea and sat down on the couch with two slices of this pie. Happy Valentines Day to us :)
mmmm...mint chocolate chip cookie crust
This one has a little bit for everyone! It's part raw, grain-free (and thus gluten free as well), very chocolatey, vegan, and free of any added sweeteners (mostly fruit-sweetened) if you don't count the chocolate :) There is an option to make it completely free of any added sugar (using stevia), but the pictured pie contains the real chocolatey stuff that comes from the store in bar form :)
Grasshopper Cookie Pie
Vegan, Grain-free, Gluten-free, Soy-free, mostly fruit sweetened with option for sugar-free
Makes a 9" pieIngredients
For the crust:
- 100 grams (1 large) banana
- 50 grams (5 Tbsp) coconut oil
- 115 grams (1 cup, diced) nut of choice, such as almond, hazelnut, macadamia, brazil, etc. (I like almond and macadamia blend)
- 3/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 12 grams (2 Tbsp) coconut flour
- 5 grams (1 tsp) peppermint extract
- 55 grams (3/4 cup) unsweetened coconut flakes
- 70 grams (1/3 cup) Enjoy Life chocolate chips ** see note for sugar-free option
- 120 grams (1/2 cup) non-dairy milk
- 60 grams (6 regular) dates
- 10 grams (1 Tbsp) chia seeds
- 75 grams cashews, opt- soaked for 30 minutes, then rinsed and drained
- 130 grams (1 small) avocado
- 18 grams (3 Tbsp) cocoa powder
- 3 grams (1/2 tsp) peppermint extract
- 20 grams (2 Tbsp) coconut oil
- optional- 3 grams or 1/2 tsp coffee extract
- This ganache recipe- you will have some left over. Or, if going for a sugar-free dessert, see note**.
- Soak cashews if desired. Prepare or grease a 9" pie pan and preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- For the crust, place all ingredients except the coconut and the chocolate in a food processor or blender and puree. Then stir or pulse in the coconut and chocolate chips (or nibs or frozen chocolate pieces, if using for sugar-free).
- Press the cookie crust into the prepared pie pan, making sure to have all the walls/ edges be the same thickness as the bottom (about 1/4"- 3/8" deep).
- Bake 12-16 minutes until the edges begin to brown slightly.
- While the crust bakes heat the non-dairy milk for the filling and place the dates and chia seeds into a high-powered blender or food-processor. (If you want to make a raw filling using raw ing., skip the step of heating the milk and just puree all filling ingredients in a high-powered blender like a Vitamix).
- Pour the scalded milk over the dates and chia seeds and let sit for about 15 minutes while you gather the rest of your ingredients. Also, drain and rinse cashews if you soaked them.
- Put the rest of the ing. for the filling into the blender or food processor after the dates and chia seeds have soaked. Puree until smooth.
- Pour into your cookie pie crust and refrigerate for about 30 minutes until set before pouring on the ganache (you can also freeze for 15 min if in a hurry :).
- While the filling sets, make your ganache. Pour over pie and tap the whole pie to knock out air bubbles from the ganache.
- Set in refrigerator for 1 hr or freezer 20-30 minutes before serving and enjoy!
This recipe has been linked up to: